"I was 32 when I started cooking; up until then, I just ate." -- Julia Child

Friday, September 5, 2008

ten years in ten years

when i was 18 i never really imagined where i would be or, more importantly, who i would be in 10 years. i recently passed on the opportunity to go to my 10-year high school reunion. i believe i made the right choice. let's face it, i never liked high school. my best friend lives in denver and there's no way she'd go, and my only other friend from high school gave me endless crap for not going. i think i've apologized enough. anyway...
i saw some photos from the reunion and since then, for some reason, some of them have come out of the virtual woodwork on facebook. so many of them are married. with kids. some of them even married people from our graduating class! i am still in shock when i come across girls i used to know and now they're all married.
i wonder if i've missed out on something? am i the freak?
i mean, like i said, i couldn't even imagine what i'd be like when i was 28.
but here i am. i'm 28 years old and i'm certainly not disappointed in who i've become or what i've done so far. i didn't really have lofty expectations, so i guess couldn't possibly be disappointed. i've traveled to places i never thought i'd go, seen and done things that still carry memories i'll have forever.
i am in the best relationship i've ever been in. i guess that's another thing i never expected, but it happened anyway. i'm single as far as my taxes are concerned, but i'm not alone. and i'm the happiest i've ever been.

No comments: